Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I Got a New Attitude!

Spring is definitely in the air!  It is that time of year when the stress begins to build!  Teachers, students, and parents stress about "The Test". While STAAR is important, we must keep in mind that it is just one day out of an entire year.  One day does not define a student.  The experiences and opportunities we provide for students each and every day is what really matters.

I am mindful of our school culture and the school environment.  As the leader of Curtis Elementary, I am constantly reminding myself about, "Doing What is BEST for kids!"  Providing a safe place to learn is our most important charge.  Our mission is to "Teach, Challenge, and Inspire".  It is my job to make sure that our students, staff members, and families know that and feel that.

As we trudge our way through the high stress and business of school at this time of year, the one word that comes to mind is "Attitude". We choose our attitude.  No matter what is happening around us, we have a choice.  With these thoughts, I reflect on a classic from Patti LaBelle.

"I'm feeling good from my hat to my shoe,
Know where I am going and I know what to do,
I've tidied up my point of view,
I've got a new attitude."

Attitude is contagious and can make all the difference.  A positive attitude is the one thing we can choose to have every day.  An attitude can spread like wildfire, so it must be uplifting and positive.  A positive attitude is energy.  It is the voltage that flows through the school.  Its current runs through each person. When I enter Curtis Elementary, I want light it up with bright, positive energy.  If we as educators remember this, we will brighten every classroom and office lighting the way for kids.

Teachers at Curtis have a strong desire to instill the love of learning.  How can we do that?  We can do that with a positive attitude.  When we are passionate about the work of each day, students will love coming to school and love learning.   As educators, we insist that students possess a positive attitude. What we need to be mindful of and insist of ourselves to be positive because our attitudes matters.  

 My challenge to myself as well as teachers, students, and parents is to choose to have a positive attitude.  When students enter your room or office, is it well lit?  Does your passion and excitement for learning brighten the way for student success?  

No comments:

Post a Comment